- Tech Spec
Why choose diskG*?
Did you know that tens of millions of external data storage devices are lost every year and this figure is rising. Have you ever considered the impact of losing your non-encrypted hard drive or USB flash memory key? Your data would be at the mercy of anyone who stumbles across it. Your personal videos may appear on YouTube, your business data sent to a competitor, your personal and financial information used for fraudulent purposes.The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) now has the power to fine businesses and government bodies up to £500,000 for serious breaches of the Data Protection Act. This includes the loss of an unencrypted portable hard drive or USB flash memory key that contains customer data. The ICO has been very clear in advising businesses to encrypt all data that workers access, they also recognise that data which is encrypted and lost or stolen is not vulnerable to compromise.Loss of confidential data can have a devastating effect on both businesses and consumers. It could lead to a hefty fine, the downfall of a business, embarrassment, job losses and adverse media focus. The diskG* can protect you against all of this.
How does it work?
Step 1 - Plug integrated USB2 cable in to any PC, MAC or Linux system
Step 2 - Enter your personal 6-16 digit PIN on the alphanumeric keypad
Step 3 - You're up and running
Once access to the diskG* is granted by entering the correct 6-16 digit PIN, data can be copied to the diskG* using any off the shelf backup software, or simply drag and drop files and directories using Windows Explorer. Once the diskG* is disconnected, all data is encrypted and cannot be accessed unless the correct PIN is entered.
Military strength Hardware encryption
The encryption chipset incorporated within the diskG* encrypts all data using 128-bit or 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption. The diskG* is the only USB hard drive to be awarded the CESG CCTM government accreditation. The diskG* also utilises FIPS PUB 197 validated Encryption Algorithm.
The recommended standard for symmetric encryption is AES (advanced Encryption Standard). The Committee of National Security Systems (CNSS) rates the AES algorithm as acceptable for encrypting top secret data on their AES policy fact sheet, stating “The design and strength of all key lengths of the AES algorithm (i.e. 128,192 and 256) are sufficient to protect classified information up to the SECRET level. TOP Secret information will require use of either the 192 or 256 key lengths.”
Brute Force Hack Defence Mechanism
The diskG* uses a three pronged approach to protect against a Brute Force Attack. The first step is to deny access to the drive until the drive can verify the user PIN. After six incorrect attempts the drive will lock itself, requiring the drive to be disconnected and then reconnected. This feature blocks automated attempts to enter PIN numbers. Lastly, after one hundred incorrect PIN attempts, the diskG* assumes it is being attacked and will destroy the encryption key and lock itself, rendering the data useless and requiring a total reset and reformat to redeploy the diskG*.
The diskG* also incorporates Variable Time Circuit (VTC) technology, which thwarts “timing attacks” aimed at accessing the drive by studying the behaviour and infiltrating diskG*’s electronics.
What is the difference between software and hardware encryption?
- Complex passwords can be cracked easily and quickly with a Brute Force Attack
- Simple password cracking software is readily available on the internet, often free of charge
- Software encryption is vulnerable to key loggers – where every key pressed is logged in either a software or hardware key logger
- Software encryption can be corrupted by viruses
- Software encryption is much slower when compared to hardware encryption
- Software encryption needs to be installed on each computer that the external storage device is used on
- The diskG* cannot be brute force attacked
- The diskG* is not vulnerable to keyloggers as the PIN is entered on the unit rather than the keyboard
- The diskG* is not vulnerable to malware or viruses
- Encryption is performed in real-time thus there is no speed degradation
- No software or drivers are required
- Secure access with personalised 6-16 digit PIN
- Administration feature allows 1 Admin and up to 10 user PIN codes
- Complete security with Real Time 128-bit or 256-bit Military Grade AES Hardware Encryption
- Compatibility with any OS - Windows, MAC, Linux
- Encrypts all data on the fly, as fast as any USB2 hard drive
- Government accredited – the only portable hard drive to have been awarded CESG CCTM
- When diskG* is not connected all data is encrypted
- Utilises FIPS PUB 197 validated Encryption Algorithm
- Easy to install and set up as no software required also NO Admin Rights required
- Brute Force Hack Defence Mechanism
- Easy to use – simply drag and drop data to the diskG* or use with any backup software
- VTC Technology
- Convenience via integrated USB2 cable
- Wear resistant key pad
- BUS powered – no mains power required
- Includes free travel pouch
- Robust, portable and compact design with shock mounting to protect from drops
- Guaranteed with 2 year warranty
|Easy to use keypad design||Unlock the drive with your own unique 6-16 digit PIN code|
|Real-time 128 or 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption||Encrypts 100% of your data in real-time (no speed degradation) and keeps your data safe even if the hard drive is removed from the enclosure|
|No software installation||No software required to setup or operate - making it perfect for corporate deployments|
|Administrator feature||Allows enrolment of up to ten unique user ID's and one administrator, making it a useful business collaboration tool|
|Ultra-portable design||Ideal to take between home and the office or on trips|
|Integrated cable||Integrated USB 2.0 cable|
|Low powered design||Bus powered from standard USB port|
|Extensive Shock Mounting||Protects the drive with a 16-point omni-directional shock mounting system|
|Hard Drive Capacities||250GB*, 320GB*, 500GB*, 640GB* & 750GB*|
|Plug-n-Play and Compatible on any system||No need to power down, just plug and go|
|Secure storage||Excellent for notebook owners, road warriors, government, health care, insurance companies, financial institutions, HR departments and executives with sensitive data|
|Box Contents||iStorage diskG* Drive with integrated cable, Quick Start Guide, Auxiliary power cable & neoprene travel pouch|
|Data Transfer Rates||USB 2.0 - Up to 480Mbps|
|Power Supply||100% bus powered|
|Interface||Hi-Speed USB 2.0|
|Average seek time||12 ms|
|Shock - non operating||1000G 1ms|
|Shock - operating||300G 2ms|
|Dimensions & weight||19mm X 84.5mm X 120mm (0.75" X 3.3" X 4.7") weight: 6.2 oz.|
|Warranty||2 years parts and labour|
|Approvals||CESG CCTM, FCC, CE, RoHS, WEEE|
|System Requirements||Hardware: PC compatible computer with Pentium CPU or similar, 32MB of RAM, CD-ROM or CD-RW, USB 1.2 or 2.0, Apple G3 or later
Operating systems: Windows 2000, Microsoft XP, Vista or Windows 7, Mac OS 10.2 or greater, Linux
|Ordering Information||iStorage Part Number: IS-DG-256-xxx (xxx=drive size in GBs)|
|*One gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes; accessible capacity will be less and actual capacity depends on the operating environment and formatting.|
Portable Encrypted Hard Drive with Secure PIN code access
The diskG* is the world’s most secure, compact and affordable USB2 portable hard drive, employing PIN code access with Military Grade 128-bit or 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption. The diskG* can only be accessed using a personalised 6-16 digit PIN code similar to using an ATM.
ALL data stored on the drive is encrypted in Real-Time, making it as fast and in many cases faster than any non-encrypted USB2 hard drive.
Should the diskG* be lost or stolen, the user can rest assured that the data stored on the drive is safe and cannot be accessed by any unauthorised third party, even if the hard drive is removed from its enclosure.